Monday 30 May 2011

My Love Affair with Sports Entertainment

If you'd asked me a year ago about sports entertainment, WWE or wrestling, I would have laughed and probably said: "Do I look like someone who would like wrestling?". I remember it being on Sky when I was little but I went to an all girls school, and wresting never took off with Yo-yos and Pokemon coming out on top. By the time I was a teenager it was something I never heard about, it had passed me by completely and I didn't care.

In 2006 I met Ryan and as a wrestling fan he would often get me to play the latest Smackdown vs. Raw game on Xbox and I would say yes and lose terribly, which wasn't really the best tactic for getting me to like it. Then, earlier this year when me and Ryan were living with his parents out of one room he bought a wrestling DVD and although I wasn't interested he let me watch Gossip Girl so I let him watch wrestling - fair deal, no?

Preconceptions told me that wrestling was people pretending to beat each other up, and why would I ever be interested in watching that? However, it won me over. I know the results are predetermined but anyone who says wrestling is 'fake' should actually have a look and see the moves they do. I don't think there's any way someone without a lot of training, talent and knowledge is going to be very successful attempting 'Starship Pain', do you?

The moves are only part of it though, the story lines are just like watching any television drama, but it's on twice a week and it also involves a lot of pyrotechnics - are you still completely disinterested? To put it simply, it's a whole lot of fun, and as the name suggests, it's really entertaining, and I'm really not ashamed to say I love it. What's more, it's also something me and Ryan can watch every week and be excited for together, and I love that we have another thing in common that we didn't realise we did for four years.

What are your thoughts on wrestling and the WWE? Are you new to wrestling like me? Feel free to leave me a comment!

Image via Wikipedia

2 comments:

Ryan Smith said...

Wrestling is awesome. fact. it makes me smile. Whats not to like about real life superheroes?

dangerkitty said...

I love wrestling! I started watching it at age 5 with my Grandpa and am still a fan. When I met my Geek Boy, I couldn't get him to watch it...but after Wresltemania he was hooked. Now it's "our" thing to do every year. And he doesn't even tease me about my crush on The Undertaker. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...